Monday, December 22, 2008

Bah Humbug

So I have to truthfully say that Christmas is one of my least favorite holidays. I know, I know, how could I not like Christmas. I just don't. I don't believe is all the hype. I was never really excited about and as I get older I just don't see the point anymore. I mean why this specific time of year spend all this money to show that we care for one another? For those that are religious, why can't they just spend there time in their place of worship and call it a day? For those who aren't, just enjoy doing some winter day like you would any other. The one thing I can say that I still enjoy from my childhood is going down to the Wannamaker building and going through the Christmas Carol display and watching the light display narrated by Julie Andrews.

Christmas has, at its core, become a secular holiday. Not to say that is a bad thing. I'm just saying that its a shame to say that it is anything else. Same goes with holidays like Valentine's Day. Technically V-Day is suppose to celebrate Saint Valentine who was supposedly some bishop who secretly married Christians. Except that we don't know if this person actually exists. Saint Valentine's Day originally celebrate several people with that name and none of them had to do with anything romantic. V-Day isn't even on the Catholic's Calendar of Saints anymore. But I digress. 

Christmas is suppose to be a time of the year where family sits around the yule log and have good tidings while sipping hot chocolate. Well, no comes to visit us and vice versa. I don't even no my father's side to care whether or not I see them and I'm convinced that most of my mother's family dislikes us somewhat or at least can't comprehend us. There are the exchanging of gifts which is a hassle.  I cringe when its time to get gifts. I love picking out gifts for people that I know they'll like because  take the time to find out what they want. But I hate getting gifts, even ones that I like. I just can't get excited for anything. I can't even fake a surprised look anymore. Not that I could do it successfully before. 

I don't get how long distance relatives think that they can buy you something you like and they haven't seen you in years. For example, one of my great aunts from Georgia bought me something, I don't remember what it was but I know it was clothing and brown. Now I'm not a big fan of brown (or color in general for that matter), so I mention this. it just to happens that I was wearing my Paul McCartney shirt that day which is pink and brown (I don't like pink either, I bought it because I love Paul and I liked the design of the shirt). Now my cousin who was there mentions that I'm wearing brown, pretty much saying that I couldn't dislike it that much. Yes, I don't dislike brown that much, in concerns with the shirt, nothing more. This is the same cousin that remarked that she couldn't understand why the prom dress I asked for for Christmas was all black. Because I like black, maybe?

This is what the generic gift is for. You don't know what to get but you have to give something. Or if you don't want to give a gift that will more than likely be re-gifted then gift cards/money is always appropriate. Now I know that a lot of people think its tacky to give gift cards because it supposedly means that you didn't put any effort into looking for a gift. Which maybe true, but it also might be that case that you smart enough to realize that if you tried to pick out a gift that it would be shitty so you give money to let the person pick out what they want. By all means please give me a gift card over a real gift. At least you admit to not knowing what to get me instead of grasping for straws. But if you really don't feel that comfortable giving money/gift cards then just write me a card. I'll appreciate you just remembering me.

I know that anyone reading this might take this as being shallow, but it isn't really. I'm just not into the whole materialistic part of of the Christmas season. I  love giving people gifts, its one of the few joys I do have, but I don't see why I have to give them on pre-mandated days of the year. And I don't enjoy making people look for a gift more me.  Maybe I'm a scrooge, but you know what? I say "Bah fucking humbug!"

No comments:

Post a Comment